Under his bill, it would be illegal for insurance companies to drop you when you're sick-- this means that if you're in college and have mono and the flu and bronchitis and you take a semester off, your mother's insurance can't boot you to the curb (you know, just a random example... don't know anyone like that...) leaving you with a 105 fever and no option to go to the emergency room. Insurance companies also couldn't deny you coverage because of pre-existing conditions, so if you have a history of arthritis in your family, they couldn't say, "Sorry, there's a possibility you could die of RA when you're 70, we can't help you out-- also, that wrist that was re-injured in your accident post-surgery, we're not going to cover any future therapy on it." Preventative care, such as (oh, I don't know) A COLONOSCOPY, won't cost you... (hold please, I'm pulling out bills and calculating) $1500.
There will be a required health care law, with a hardship waiver and a requirement that any business which does not provide insurance to contribute to paying for insurance. If you are unable to get insurance and you have to make a trip to the ER, it's covered.
He also dispelled the myths that the new system would drain our economy, called for malpractice revisions (thank GOODNESS since I can't disagree with the Republican side that it plays a part in driving up healthcare costs-- I mean, if someone can sue you at the drop of a hat, what's to stop them from doing it?), declared that the public option would not be available to illegal immigrants (to which there was a strangely resounding, "NOT TRUE" from one side of the aisle-- to which Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi gave them the "how rude" look), and said, "If you spread rumors and untruths, we will call. you. out."
He also just said "silver bullet" which kind of makes my B-movie side happy.
Also, on an unrelated note, as pleased as I am with post-election McCain, he still looks creepy. Snake-like. Shudder.
I've totally worn myself out now-- I really hope this stomach thing ends tonight so I can a) actually eat and b) not lose another day at work before we take off for Memphis!
Ciao for now, more from Memphis!
"We did not come to fear the future, we came to shape it. I believe we can still act, even when it's hard. I still believe that we can act when it's hard, I believe we can replace acrimony with civility." -Big O (I'll post the rest when the transcript is posted, it's a really great sentiment and something that is required for us to be a great country once more)
(and O finished in time for Glee!)
And you know a bunch of people sitting in that chamber had no clue what "acrimony" meant. :P
ReplyDeleteAnd we totally cracked up when he said "silver bullet". Power to the bearwolf!